Chair: João A. Peças Lopes
INESC Porto, Portugal
João A. Peças Lopes is Full Professor at the Faculty of Engineering of University of Porto (FEUP). He is Director of INESC Porto and Director of the Sustainable Energy Systems PhD program at FEUP. He was Scientific / Technical Coordinator of the European Union FP7 research project MERGE – Mobile Energy Resources for Grids of Electricity. Prof. Lopes is the convener of the CIGRE WG C6.20 on integration of electric vehicles in electric power systems.
He was the responsible for several consulting projects related with the electrical grid impact. He supervised the impact analysis of the connection of wind parks in the electrical grids of Madeira, Azores, Sal, S. Vicente and S. Tiago, in the Republic of Cabo Verde.
The need to largely reduce the amount of Carbon Dioxide emissions in the coming years requires a large effort. Electric vehicles can be part of the solution for the transportation sector. The expected growing demand for electricity resulting from the introduction of electrically powered cars calls for the development of innovative concepts under the smart grid paradigm in order to exploit the availability of renewable generation. This panel introduces international experience in integrating electric vehicles into the smart grid from Germany, Italy, Ireland, Greece, and Saudi Arabia.
- Advanced Control and Management Solution to Allow Large-scale Integration of EVs
Nikos Hatziargyriou (National Technical University of Athens, Greece)
- Integrating Electric Vehicles and Renewables in the Grid – The Need for Managed Charging
Franziska Schuth (Vattenfall, Germany)
- Integrating a National Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure Into Irish Electricity System
Senan McGrath (ESB ecars, Ireland)
- Electric Vehicles Are Underway – Saudi Arabia and Around
Ali T. Al-Awami (King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals, Saudi Arabia)
- Framework for Electromobility in the European Green eMotion Project
Thomas Gereke (Siemens, Germany)
- E-Mobility Demonstration Projects in Italy for European Integration
Iva Maria Gianinoni (Ricerca sul Sistema Energetico RSE, Italy)